“Self-regulation is a system for dealing with stress.”
A few of my takeaways:
- Our ability to self-regulate is compromised when we are sleep-deprived.
We are all sleeping less — average hours of sleep has decreased across all ages.
- Physical activity helps with self-regulation.
- Negative emotions are a BIG DRAIN.
Some recommended resources
- Calm, Alert & Learning (Article by Shanker)
- Calm, Alert & Learning (Book by Shanker)
- Importance of Self-Regulation (Powerpoint from Shanker Nov 25, 2011)
- Calm, Alert & Learning: Companion Content
- Anything by Jay Giedel including:
- Development of the Young Brain (5 min video from NIMH)
- Inside the Teenage Brain (60 min program from PBS)
- The Teen Brain: Primed to Learn, Primed to Take Risks (article)
- The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge
- The Brain That Changes Itself (CBC – Nature of Things Episode)
- Changing Your Mind (CBC – Nature of Things Episode)
- The Spirit Level (Wilkinson & Pickett)
- The First Idea (Greenspan & Shanker)
- Summary of Shankers Presentation to the BCSSA last fall (Kennedy)
- Self-Regulation Links Via Charlie Naylor
Some other items that may be related: